Here is an opportunity for techies to showcase their skills and stand the chance to win $100,000. The application is open for the 2022 Hack the Mara Hackathon Challenge for Developers in Africa ($100,000 Prize).
Hack The Mara Hackathon Challenge 2022 is looking for African developers to participate.
You are encouraged to enter this competition by submitting ideas for a DeFi application that could serve as a payment system for the Maasai Mara tourism industry.
The top eight proposals will be invited to participate in a live hackathon in the Maasai Mara in Kenya. The competition’s winners will not only receive cash prizes, but also funding, startup accelerator programs, mentorship, and other resources to help them develop their solutions.
About Decentralized Finance (DeFi)
Decentralized finance (DeFi) is a new financial technology that is based on secure distributed ledgers, similar to the ones used by cryptocurrencies. The system eliminates banks’ and institutions’ control over money, financial products, and financial services.
Brief Program Details
Sponsor(s): Decentralized finance (DeFi)
Award Value: $100,000 cash prize
Application Deadline: 5 August 2022
Full Benefits of Mara Hackathon Challenge
- 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place winners stand a chance to win both cash and in-kind prizes.
- $100,000 in prizes (cash in USDC, and in-kind).
- Acceptance into Antler’s Nairobi incubation program.
- Access to follow-up funding from Mara and partners.
- Mentorship from Mara and partners.
Other benefits include:
- Developer Badges for everyone that completes a successfully submitted app or web service
- Access to partner companies looking to hire developers
- Access to partner companies with project managers with experience building or managing blockchain applications.
Requirements for Mara Hackathon Challenge
- Interested members of the public who are residents of the African continent are invited to apply to join the Hackathon.
- Individuals who apply must be older than 16 years and must have the required skills and permission to participate.
- Shortlisted teams would be required to travel down to the Ishara Mara in Kenya, to participate in the one-week physical hackathon.
- All Submission materials must be in English or, if not in English, the Entrant must provide an English translation of the demonstration video, text description, and testing instructions as well as all other materials submitted.
Decentralized Finance (DeFi) applications are built on blockchain platforms to provide financial services that are typically provided by centralized entities such as banks, lenders, or insurance companies. You should provide applications that allow Maasai Mara ecosystem partners to see the distribution process and ensure that the intended recipients are credited.
Your solution should be able to service anyone, anyplace, regardless of distance. This includes providing service in places with limited internet penetration and smartphone use. The solution must include:
- Offer transparency to all relevant stakeholders
- Use low-tech payment confirmation technology like USSD, MPESA, and Identity
- Must adhere to best practices including KYC/AML policies
- Use the blockchain of your choice
- Originality – 20 %
- Innovation – 25 %
- Analytical Skills – 10 %
- Strategic Thinking – 15 %
- Practical Implementation – 30 %
How to Apply
The first four stages must all be completed before August 5 for your team to be eligible for the fifth and final stage to be held in the Mara.
- Stage 1: Join the Mara Discord and Telegram channels to start engaging with fellow builders and creators.
- Stage 2: Register the team on Zindi. Participation in the hackathon is dependent on completing Stage 1. Only registered members of Discord & Telegram can participate in the hackathon. Each individual must fill out this Google Form to participate.
- Stage 3: Every team that has successfully registered will be required to take a short practical test on HackerRank for the first level of shortlisting.
- Stage 4: The shortlisted teams will be required to send in their ideas for the hackathon. This is a team effort and will ensure that the team discusses the hackathon and think of innovative solutions to be built during the hackathon. This is the second stage of shortlisting.
- Stage 5: After the second stage of shortlisting, the top 8 teams will be invited to come to Kenya for the hackathon. The invitation will be sent on August 15, 2022.