EducationUSA Scholarship: The EducationUSA Scholarship is an exceptional scholarship opportunity for well-deserved Nigerian students. The Education USA Undergraduates scholarship is a category of the EducationUSA scholarship for Secondary school graduates with excellent WAEC SSCE results. This is a scholarship opportunity for students who have at least 7 distinctions (A and B inclusive) in their SSCE results.
This article is provided here to guide you on when to apply and how to apply for this scholarship.
Brief Scholarship Details
Sponsor(s): EducationUSA Opportunity Funds (OFP)
Host Country: United States
Scholarship Value: Fully Funded, Travel Allowance, and Monthly Stipends
Award Duration: Throughout your years of studies
Eligible Country: Nigeria
About the Education USA Undergraduate Scholarship
The United States Mission in Nigeria seeks to identify low-income, highly academically qualified, and motivated Senior Secondary 3 (SS3) or 12th-grade students in Nigeria to participate in the EducationUSA Opportunity Funds (OFP).
The mission of EducationUSA’s OFP is to assist highly talented and determined economically disadvantaged students in negotiating and financing admissions to colleges and universities in the United States. The goal is to produce highly skilled and well-educated leaders to help build Nigeria of the future.
Through regularly scheduled meetings and seminars, EducationUSA’s OFP works closely with students to assist them throughout the application process for admission and scholarships to colleges and universities in the United States.
Full Scholarship Benefits and Reward
Opportunity Funds covers all application costs, including registration fees for required standardized tests, and offers free membership to the US EducationUSA Advising Center to its participants.
Opportunity Funds anticipates a genuine commitment from students to devote their energy and time to the program and their communities, as well as to be the best they can be.
- Strong academic record/ transcript
- Robust participation in extracurricular activities
- Involvement in leadership roles (prefectship is preferred)
- Excellent community service participation
- Financial Need
- Results Transcripts that show an A average or above 90%
- WAEC results (if available): 7 A’s & above (not older than 2 years old and no Cs)
If any of the criteria are not met, EducationUSA is not obliged to notify the applicant.
Note: SS3 Students who are yet to sit for WAEC Exams are eligible to partake in this programme. Students with WAEC results not more than 2 years are also eligible for the scholarship.
Also Apply: 2022 University of British Columbia Scholarships for International Students
- Complete Application Form: Complete the application form electronically
- Attach a photocopy of your WAEC “O” Level results if available (from the WAEC website).
(Include Cambridge A’Level or IGSCE results, if applicable.) – Not Compulsory
- Request a teacher or your school principal to complete the attached letter of recommendation form, attesting to your character, talent, and skills. Please do not include a basic testimonial that does not talk about you as an individual.
- Upload a scanned copy of your official transcript from JS1 to SS3 including mock & first term results. (limit 2 MB)
- Write three essays of 300 words each (type it in a word document, then copy & paste)
- Upload a scanned copy of any supplementary certificates of achievement (limit 1MB)
NOTE: Please upload all supporting documents as pdf files with proper titles e.g. “John Doe Transcript”, “John Doe WAEC” etc. Documents sent via email will not be considered. Paper copies will not be accepted.
Hot Opportunity: How to Apply for the Federal Government Scholarship (FSB): The Definitive Guide in 2022
Applicants are welcome from all the states in Nigeria. However, students must be able to reach our office in Lagos or Abuja on a monthly basis during the school year, throughout school holidays, and after the WASSCE exams, for full participation. Participants will work with our EducationUSA Advisors from June of the year of selection to August of the following year to try to secure places and financial assistance to begin study in the U.S. not earlier than August of the following year.
The application timeline for this scholarship is between 15 April to 31 May every year. However, it is advised you visit the EducationUSA Office in Lagos or Abuja to get yourself enrolled in the scholarship programme ahead of April.
Abuja Office Address
Embassy of the United States of America,
Plot 1075 Diplomatic Drive, Central District Area, Abuja
Lagos Office Address
U.S. Consulate General, Lagos
2, Walter Carrington Crescent
Victoria Island, Lagos
Visit the EducationUSA Scholarship Official Website for More Information