Google News Initiative (GNI) Student Fellowship
Google News Initiative: The application is open for the 2023 Google News Initiative (GNI) Student Fellowship for African Students. Suitable and qualified candidates are hereby invited to apply.
The Google News Initiative Fellowship is an eight-week internship at one of the participating newsrooms during the summer of 2023.
GNI Program Overview
The GNI Student Fellowship will begin with an online bootcamp where Student Fellows will get to know one another, build a network, and receive career-enhancing workshops from experts in the field. The organizers are also stepping up their efforts to increase Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in the program this year.
It is intended for students and recent graduates who want to work as Student Fellows in one of the participating newsrooms. Selected Student Fellows will work for eight weeks in one of the newsrooms during the summer of 2023 and will be compensated for their efforts.
Brief Program Details
Sponsor(s): Google Inc.
Type: Fellowship | Training
Eligible Qualification: Students and recent graduates
Benefits: 2,500 Euro | Training
Eligible Countries: African Countries
Application Deadline: 21 April 2023.
Full Program Benefits
- By applying, you get the chance to become a Student Fellow in 2023! If you are selected, you will get the unique opportunity to learn what it is like to work for a European newsroom.
- Student Fellows are paid by their newsroom for eight weeks of full-time work. The minimum amount will be €2,500; the exact amount will be at the discretion of the newsroom.
- Student Fellows will attend valuable workshops and enjoy network opportunities during the kick-off boot camp. This bootcamp will prepare you to make the most out of your Fellowship.
- The European Journalism Centre will check in with all the Student Fellows during the Fellowship to provide them with guidance, training, and advice and touch base on progress and needs during the Fellowship.
To be considered for the fellowship, you must:
- You are 18 years or older.
- You are enrolled in or recently graduated (in 2020, 2021, or 2022) from an accredited education program. This includes:
- Master, Ph.D., or bachelor students/graduates
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a technical certificate.
- Students/graduates pursuing or in possession of a professional certificate.
- Students/graduates of another accredited form of education in a relevant field, such as an apprenticeship or vocational training.
- You are from the country where the newsroom is based OR you are living and/or studying in the country where the newsroom is based. Students in Austria, Germany or Switzerland can apply for any newsrooms based in these three countries.
- You are legally allowed to work full-time in the country where the newsroom is based.
- They accept both full-time and part-time students.
Below are the documents required for this scholarship application:
- Work samples
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should click the Apply Button below to apply.
Click on the apply button
Click on apply on the GNI homepage
Click on I am not a member.
Signup to create your account
Log in and complete your application.