International Internship: Here is an international opportunity exclusively for Africans. Currently open is the United Nations Internships Program for African Students 2022 application. Locate the apply button below this content and applications.
The United Nations Internship Program, overseen by the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa, provides an opportunity for African students to learn how to bring global solutions to the continent’s problems while also bringing local solutions to the continent.
Through knowledge generation and stakeholder engagement, the program aims to investigate and leverage the AfCFTA-sport link. The program will examine how developing an inclusive and sustainable sports ecosystem can promote regional cooperation, entrepreneurship, employability, innovation, manufacturing, and, ultimately, inclusive intra-African trade.
About United Nations
The United Nations (UN) is an intergovernmental organization whose goals are to maintain international peace and security, foster friendly relations among nations, achieve international cooperation, and serve as a focal point for nations’ actions to be coordinated. It is the world’s largest and most familiar international organization. The UN is headquartered on international territory in New York City and has other main offices in Geneva, Nairobi, Vienna, and The Hague (home to the International Court of Justice).
The United Nations (UN) was established after World War II to prevent future wars, succeeding the rather ineffective League of Nations. On 25 April 1945, 50 governments met in San Francisco for a conference and started drafting the UN Charter, which was adopted on 25 June 1945 and took effect on 24 October 1945, when the UN began operations. Pursuant to the Charter, the organization’s objectives include maintaining international peace and security, protecting human rights, delivering humanitarian aid, promoting sustainable development, and upholding international law.
The UN was founded with 51 member states; with the addition of South Sudan in 2011, membership has grown to 193, representing nearly all of the world’s sovereign states.
Brief Program Details
Sponsor(s): UN Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA)
Award Value: Monthly Salary and Training
Eligible Countries: All African Countries
Duration: 6 Months
Application Deadline: 13 November 2022
The internship program is made of three openings, there are:
The Internship program has three openings currently;
- Intern – Economic Affairs, I (Temporary Job Opening)
- Intern – Social Sciences, I (Temporary Job Opening)
- Intern – Economic Affairs (multiple positions), I (Temporary Job Opening)
Eligibility Requirement of United Nations (UN) Internship
To be eligible for an internship with the United Nations Internship Programme, you must meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must meet one of the following requirements: (a) be enrolled in a graduate school program (second university degree or equivalent, or higher); (b) be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent); or (c) have graduated with a university degree (as defined above) and, if selected, must commence the internship within a one year period of graduation;
- Be computer literate in standard software applications;
- Have a demonstrated keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter; and
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes a willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
UN Internship Duration
The internship is for six (6) months.
The internship is UNPAID and full-time. It is fully home-based. Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others, and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style, and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with a final group decisions, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
How to Apply
Interested and suitably qualified candidates should click on the apply button below to begin their application.
A completed online application (Motivation Statement and Administrative Profile) is required. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
The Cover Note must include:
- Degree Programme (What are you currently studying?)
- Graduation Date (When will you graduate or when did you graduate from the program?)
- List the IT skills and programs that you are proficient in.
- List your top three areas of interest.
- Explain why you are the best candidate for this specific internship.
- Explain your interest in the United Nations Internship Programme.
In your online Administrative Profile, be sure to include all past work experiences, IT skills, and three references.
Note: Only successfully selected candidates will be contacted. This is a result of voluminous applications likely to be received.
Visit the United Nations Careers Official Webpage For More Information Here