Mastercard Foundation Scholarship at the University of California
Mastercard Scholarships: The application for the 2023/2024 MasterCard University of California, Berkeley Masters Scholarships for African Students to study in the USA is currently open.
From 2020 to 2028, the MasterCard University of California, Berkeley Masters Scholarships 2023/2024 for African Students will provide financial, academic, social, and career counseling to master students from Sub-Saharan Africa.
The program at the University of California, Berkeley is administered through the Center for African Studies and is supported by a diverse range of functional and disciplinary units on campus, including the Division of Student Affairs, the Graduate Division, the Berkeley International Office, and the International House.
About the University of California, Berkeley
Berkeley, California’s University of California (UC Berkeley, Berkeley, Cal, or California) is a public land-grant research university. It was founded as the University of California in 1868 and is the state’s first land-grant university as well as the first campus of the University of California system.
Its fourteen colleges and schools provide over 350-degree programs to 31,800 undergraduate and 13,200 graduate students. Berkeley has consistently ranked among the top universities in the world.
Brief Scholarship Details
Host University: University of California, Berkely
Academic Program: Masters
Award Value: Fully Funded
Eligible Countries: African Countries
Application Deadline: Varies
Eligibility Requirements for the Mastercard University of California Scholarship
- Being a citizen of a Sub-Saharan African country: You may still be eligible if you have refugee status, are stateless, or have other questions about your citizenship. Please contact us directly if you have any questions. Citizens of North African countries are not eligible for this scholarship.
- Excelling academically: To be considered for the Scholarship, all prospective Scholars must first be admitted to UC Berkeley. Academic excellence is an important criterion for admission to the University.
- Coming from an economically disadvantaged background: We intend to admit people from the bottom two income quintiles in each country. This Scholarship is intended for exceptionally gifted individuals who have no other means of obtaining the additional education needed to help them realize their dreams and ambitions.
- Having demonstrated the will to give back to your community, country, or continent: We are looking for students who are well-rounded and involved in activities outside of the classroom. Some may be directly related to your field of study, but others (social, economic, and political) that you are working on and are passionate about may also be included. Applicants should elaborate on their accomplishments in both their UC Berkeley application and their Scholarship application.
- Having expressed the desire and intention to return to your home country after completing your studies: We are looking for students who are interested in and passionate about issues affecting their communities, and who will use their UC Berkeley education to better equip themselves with the knowledge and training to address these issues when they return. While important work can be done from abroad, the goal of this Program is for Scholars to be able to return home after making valuable professional connections through internships and job placements.
English Proficiency Requirement
Candidates must have masters or be pursuing masters in any of the listed fields:
- Architecture (M.Arch) – Our priority is the two-year, not three-year program. Contact us
- Art (MFA)
- Business Administration (MBA)*
- City & Regional Planning (MCP)
- Development Practice (MDP)
- Education (DMS, EMST, or MUSE)
- Energy & Resources (ERG)
- Engineering (M.Eng, MS)
- Master of Engineering (M.Eng), various concentrations
- Master of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering (MS)
- Electrical Engineering and Computer Science (MS)
- Mechanical Engineering (MS)
- Master of Development Engineering (M.DevEng)
- Master of Design (M.Des)
- Folklore (MA)
- Journalism (MJ)
- Information Management & Systems (MIMS)
- Public Health
- Masters of Public Health (MPH), various concentrations
- Masters of Science (MS), Environmental Health Sciences and Epidemiology
- Masters of Arts (MA), Biostatistics
- Public Policy (MPP)
- Social Welfare (MSW)
- LL.M. Programs – Traditional and Thesis Track only
- Graduate degree candidates must first be admitted to the university through the regular admissions process before being considered for the MasterCard Foundation Scholars Program.
- Prospective Master’s degree program applicants must first apply to the University via the regular admissions process before being considered for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
- The UCB Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program will invite prospective candidates to apply for the Scholarship once the graduate degree program admissions process has begun.
How to Apply
Kindly visit the University of California portal here to begin your application.