Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarships
Masters Scholarship: The application is open for the 2023 Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarships for African Students.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program and the Africa Oxford Initiative are two innovative and ambitious collaborations between the University of Oxford and the Mastercard Foundation (AfOx).
The collaboration will provide 400 young African scholars with a fully-funded opportunity to pursue taught Master’s degrees in pandemic preparedness and recovery programs at the University of Oxford.
About the Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship
The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship program assists passionate, locally rooted, and globally minded African young people in pursuing graduate studies at Oxford. The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship program is based on the shared values of the Mastercard Foundation and AfOx, which are collegiality, empathy, commitment, inclusion, and community.
The Scholarship is part of the larger AfOx Graduate Scholars Program, which aims to assist African students in gaining access to opportunities at Oxford and thriving both during and after their time there.
Brief Scholarship Details
Host Country: United Kingdom
Sponsor(s): University of Oxford
Academic Program: Postgraduate
Eligible Countries: African countries
Application Deadline: Open
Full Benefits of Mastercard Foundation Masters Scholarships
- This full-cost scholarship is available to Master’s students, covering tuition fees and living expenses for international students. The scholarship also provides logistics support, including an economy return flight, visa and Immigration Health Surcharge fees, settling down allowance, and access to a Thrive Fund for emergencies. The first year includes a rigorous academic Master’s course at Oxford and a Leadership and Impact Programme, which support the scholars in developing collaborative leadership qualities needed to build cross-sector, interdisciplinary solutions to address complex social and environmental problems.
- After completing their Master’s Program, Scholars will be supported to take up 4-6 months placements in leading Africa-based organizations for their Ubuntu Period of Service. The scholars will work on initiatives in Africa, receiving mentoring from leading Africa-based academics and practitioners, enabling the Scholars to develop pathways to building impactful careers in Africa.
- The Scholars benefit from a bespoke Leadership and Impact Program delivered in partnership with the Skoll Centre for Social Enterprise and tailored academic and social support throughout their studies. Beyond their studies, Scholars will join the AfOx Alumni Network, where they can continue to draw on and contribute to the community of African Scholars linked to the University of Oxford.
- In addition to the peer support from the Scholar Community, the Scholars have access to mentorship and career support from AfOx Research and Innovation Fellows and the more comprehensive AfOx network of research leaders and entrepreneurs.
Also Apply: Kingston University London Scholarship for Bachelor’s and Master’s Degree
Eligibility Requirements for Mastercard Foundation Masters Scholarships
- The Mastercard Foundation AfOx Scholarship enables students from all African countries to pursue graduate studies at the University of Oxford.
- All students with an African nationality and residence who receive a conditional offer from the University will be eligible for the scholarship.
- The scholarship emphasizes explicitly groups who have historically been under-represented, including but not limited to female scholars, people from refugee and displaced backgrounds, and disabled scholars. Necessary residence considerations will be made for students from refugee and displaced backgrounds.
How to Apply
- To be considered for this scholarship, submit your application to the University of Oxford via the graduate admissions portal by the deadline for your chosen course of study and indicate that you wish to apply for AfOx funding. Please read the Application Guide in detail ahead of making the application. We strongly recommend you submit your application form and all of your supporting documents at least a week before the earliest deadline for your course.
- The Oxford University Masters application fee of £75 is waived upon request for many low-income countries – refer to the application fee waiver section. Prospective applicants can apply to the Afrisoc Mentoring program for support with Oxford Applications and potential fee waivers for countries not eligible for the fee waiver. If you have any concerns about the application fee, please email email@example.com before you submit your application through the Applicant Portal.
- Eligible candidates who receive a conditional offer from their course will be then invited to apply for the AfOx Graduate Scholarship Program. All invited candidates will be expected to fill in the AfOx Graduate Scholarship questionnaire during the application process.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed virtually before decisions are made, and the timelines will be communicated at the interview stage
Visit the University of Oxford’s Official Website for More Information