2023 IAMAT-Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship
Medical Scholarships: The application is open for the 2023 IAMAT-Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship for African Medical Professionals. This is a scholarship opportunity to build capacity for medical doctors, nurses, and all medical professionals. The IAMAT Scholarship programme will give you significance for consideration in many robust NGO contracts.
Eligible and qualified candidates are hereby encouraged to apply for the Travel Medicine Scholarship for African Medical Professionals.
About The IAMAT-Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship
The IAMAT-Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship honors Robert Haru Fisher, a dedicated IAMAT board member, and his partner Harukuni. A doctor or nurse from an African country will receive the scholarship.
The recipient undergoes clinical observation as well as a travel medicine course offered by the South African Society of Travel Medicine. Following the course, the scholar returns home to teach their colleagues, thereby improving healthcare for both visitors and local patients.
Brief Scholarship Details
Sponsor(s): International Association for Medical Assistance to Travelers (IAMAT)
Host Country: South Africa
Award Value: Grants | Travel Allowance | Tuition and more
Educational Qualifications: Registered Medical Doctors and Nurses
Eligible Countries: All African countries outside of South Africa
Application Deadline: 24 October 2022
Quickly Follow Us on Twitter for Frequent Scholarship Alerts Here
Objectives of the IAMAT-Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship
The successful scholars will be sponsored by the Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship. The scholarship is administered on behalf of IAMAT by the South African Society of Travel Medicine. SASTM’s mission is to guide the profession in all aspects relating to the practice of travel medicine, including training and accrediting travel health professionals.
Full Travel Medicine Scholarship Benefits
IAMAT pays for the tuition, educational materials, local transportation, and accommodations. The recipient is responsible for transportation to South Africa and any additional miscellaneous costs. Upon successful completion of the course, IAMAT will reimburse the scholar for the airfare (economy class).
Eligibility Requirement for the IAMAT-Robert Haru Fisher Travel Medicine Scholarship
Below are the requirements to be considered for the medical professionals’ scholarship:
- Living and working in a country in Africa where travel medicine is an emerging specialty, outside of South Africa
- Knowledge of travel medicine
- Capacity to expand travel medicine in the workplace and region/country
- Proven excellent English writing and speaking proficiency
Also Apply: 2023 DAAD Masters Scholarships of Science in International Health for Developing Countries
IAMAT Scholarship Programme Details
The scholarships include the following components:
1. SASTM Travel Medicine Course
- The course is delivered through a series of lectures, discussions, and problem-solving sessions. The scholar will receive study materials and is expected to review them thoroughly prior to the course. The scholar must take two exams (before and after the course) and submit a travel medicine project following the course. Upon successful completion, a Certificate of Competence will be issued by the University of the Witwatersrand.
- SASTM course information:
Dates: May 3 – 7, 2023
2. Clinical observations
- Clinical observations focusing on pre-travel consultations will take place at the Travel Doctor clinic in Johannesburg.
- Travel Doctor website: http://traveldoctor.co.za/
Dates: May 2 and 8 – 9, 2023 (one day before and two days after the Course)
IAMAT scholars have access to advise from a travel medicine practitioner before and after the scholarship training for a maximum of 2 hours per month from 1 January 2023 until the start of the course and available again after the course until 31 December 2023.
How to Apply
The application deadline is October 24, 2022, at 11:59 pm CAT. Please send the following documentation to email@example.com and to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. Completed application (which contains the below documents)
2. Curriculum Vitae
3. Current certificate of medical or nursing registration
4. An essay of approximately 500 words explaining the following:
a. Your interest in travel medicine
b. How do you plan to expand the field of travel medicine in your country or region
c. How the scholarship can assist you to achieve your professional goals?
NOTE: The Subject of the Email Should be “Your name Space 2023 IAMAT Scholarship Application” e.g [Justice Williams 2023 IAMAT Scholarship Application]
Shortlisted candidates will be contacted in November for a video conference interview.
The successful candidate will be expected to sign a scholarship contract.
Visit the IAMAT Official Website for More Information