Government of Slovak Republic National Scholarship Program
Government of Slovak Republic Scholarship: The National Scholarship Program of the Slovak Republic 2024-2025 provides full funding for international students. These scholarships are offered for master’s and doctoral programs. The scholarship provides up to 734 € each month.
Scholarships are available for international students, Ph.D. students, university professors, researchers, and artists. In 2005, the Slovak Republic’s Government approved the establishment of the National Scholarship Programme of the Slovak Republic to encourage the mobility of students, PhD students, university lecturers, researchers, and artists.
Table of Contents
- About the Slovak National Scholarship
- Brief Scholarship Details
- Full Benefits of the Slovak National Scholarship
- Eligibility Requirements for the Scholarship
- Required Documents
- Application Procedure
About the Slovak National Scholarship
The Ministry of Education, Science, Research, and Sport of the Slovak Republic funds the National Scholarship Programme (NSP).
The Slovak Republic’s National Scholarship Programme promotes foreign students, Ph.D. students, university teachers, researchers, and artist mobility for scholarship stays at Slovakian higher education institutions and research organizations.
Brief Scholarship Details
Sponsor: Slovak Government
Award Value: Fully Funded | Travel | Accommodation
Eligible Countries: International
Application Deadline: 31 October 2023
Full Benefits of the Slovak National Scholarship
- The scholarship is intended to cover international scholarship holders’ living costs, i.e. the costs related to staying in Slovakia (food, accommodation, etc.), during their study, research/artistic, or teaching stay at universities and in research organizations in Slovakia. The scholarship holder can ask for assistance concerning accommodation and formalities related to entering and staying in the territory of the Slovak Republic either his/her host institution, or he/she can handle all the necessities him-/herself.
- The amount of the monthly scholarship
- to university students of the second level of higher education is 400 €
- Ph.D. student 734 €
Eligibility Requirements for the Scholarship
The following students are eligible for the Slovak National Scholarship Programme:
- Students who:
- are university students at universities outside Slovakia.
- students of the second level of higher education (master’s students), or are students who at the time of application deadline have already completed at least 2.5 years of their university studies in the same study program;
- will be on a study stay in Slovakia during their higher education outside Slovakia and will be accepted by a public, private, or state university in Slovakia for academic mobility1 to study in Slovakia. Eligible applicants for a scholarship in the framework of the NSP: A).
- Ph.D. students whose higher education or scientific training takes place outside Slovakia and who are accepted by a public, private, or state university or a research institution in Slovakia eligible to carry out a doctoral study programme2 (e.g. the Slovak Academy of Sciences) for an academic mobility1 to study/conduct research/artistic stay in Slovakia.
The National Scholarship Programme does not support:
- international students and Ph.D. students accepted for full higher education (bachelor, master, doctoral studies) in Slovakia, or those already studying in Slovakia (full higher education) who would like to fund their studies in Slovakia by the NSP.
- International applicants who within the period of 36 months prior to the application deadline have spent in the territory of the Slovak Republic 12 or more months (in total);
- International applicants who are receiving a scholarship in Slovakia in the framework of other scholarship programs funded from public resources (e.g. International Visegrad Fund, Erasmus+, CEEPUS, bilateral agreements, etc.)
Required documents that must be attached to the online application for a study stay in case of international students (eligible applicants under category A):
- curriculum vitae;
- motivation letter;
- detailed study programme
- two recommendation letters issued by the applicant’s university teachers
- confirmation issued by the applicant’s home university confirming that the applicant is a regular student of the respective university at the time of applying
- scan of the applicant’s bachelor’s diploma, diploma supplement, and state examination certificate (if applicable);
- admission/invitation letter issued by the applicant’s host university in Slovakia indicating the period of stay.
Interested and qualified candidates should visit the application website via the Apply Button below:
Scholarship applications are submitted online at www.scholarships.sk. The online application system is opened at least 6 weeks prior to the application deadline. Applications can be filled in only in case the online application system has already been opened.
- Applicants must fill in their online applications and upload all the required attachments in the required format to their online application.
- Applicants are allowed to submit (fill in) applications and the required attachments in Slovak or English language only (documents written in other languages must be officially translated into Slovak or English language – translation can be certified by the same institution that issued the respective document).
- In case of documents, that are attached to the application and that are issued by a person other than the applicant (e.g. recommendation letters, confirmations of study, diploma/diploma supplement/state examination certificate, admission/invitation letter) it is necessary to upload the scan of these documents to the online application. The applicant is obliged to keep and archive all originals of documents that he/she has attached to the online application in electronic format, and if requested, to submit these originals (or certified copies of these originals) to the program administrator.
- Once the application is filled in and all the required documents are attached to the application, the applicant must submit the application by clicking the “SEND” button. It is also necessary to deliver the original of the admission/invitation letter to SAIA, n. o., in Bratislava (SAIA, n. o., Sasinkova 10, 812 20 Bratislava 1).
- This document must be delivered at the latest on the 3rd working day after the application deadline until 12 p.m. (when determining the working days, legal status in Slovakia is taken into consideration).
Visit the Slovak National Scholarship Programme Official Website for More Information