Miles Morland Foundation Scholarship Overview
Miles Morland Scholarship: The application is open for the 2023 Miles Morland Foundation Writing Scholarship Award for Africans. Before becoming established, it might be difficult for writers to compose while also making a living. The MMF annually provides a small number of Morland Writing Scholarships to assist meet this demand, with the goal of giving each Scholar enough time to complete the first draft of a completed book. The Scholarships are accessible to anyone writing in English who was born in Africa or had both parents born in Africa.
About the Miles Morland Foundation
Miles Morland established the Miles Morland Foundation in 2013 following a career investing in Africa through two firms he founded, Blakeney Management and DPI (Development Partners International). The Miles Morland Foundation (MMF), based in London, is a UK-registered charity that offers contributions in areas that reflect the interests of its founder.
The Foundation’s major goal is to support African companies that help Africans have their voices heard. It is especially interested in promoting African writing and literature.
Brief Scholarship Details
Sponsor(s): Miles Morland Foundation
Award Value: £18,000
Scholarship Duration: 10 Months
Eligible Countries: African Countries
Application Deadline: 18 September 2023
Full Scholarship Benefits
Scholars writing fiction will receive a grant of £18,000, paid monthly over the course of twelve months. At the discretion of the Foundation, Scholars writing non-fiction, who require additional research time, could receive an additional grant, paid over a period of up to eighteen months.
Eligibility Requirements for the Miles Morland Scholarship
Below are the requirements for the Miles Morland scholarship award:
- A submission of between 2,000 to 5,000 words as a Word document of work that has been published and offered for sale.
- Interested applicants must be natives of an African country
- Proof of publication and proof of sale.
- A scan of an official document showing that you, or both of your parents, were born in Africa.
- A description of between 400 – 1,000 words about the new book you intend to write.
- A brief bio of between 200 – 300 words.
- Please tell us how you heard about the Morland Writing Scholarships.
- The Scholarships are meant for full-length works of adult fiction or non-fiction. Poetry, plays, film scripts, children’s books, and short story collections do not qualify.
The scholarship does not support the following writings:
Application Procedure for the Miles Morland Scholarship
Interested and qualified candidates should visit the application page via the Apply Button below to apply.