University of Tokyo Scholarship
University of Tokyo: The application is open for the 2023 University of Tokyo Japanese Government MEXT scholarship for international students to study at the prestigious University of Tokyo. The determination of the number of candidates to be selected by the Graduate School of Science for the University of Tokyo, in addition to the number to be subsequently chosen by the University of Tokyo to MEXT, will be concluded once the application period has ended. During the previous round (application for entrance in 2020), each Graduate School was permitted to choose a maximum of one candidate, while the University of Tokyo was authorized to nominate up to three candidates to MEXT.
Brief Scholarship Details
Sponsor(s): Japanese Government MEXT
Host Institution: University of Tokyo
Type of Program: Masters | Doctorate
Award Value: Fully Funded
Eligible Countries: International
Application Deadline: 31 October 2023
Full Benefits and Duration of the University of Tokyo Japan MEXT Scholarship
The scholarship award will cover the following:
- Traveling Costs
- School Fees
Duration of Award
For a recipient who will enroll in a Master’s Program or Doctoral Program, the scholarship will be payable for the standard period of time necessary for the recipient to complete his or her program (standard course term), starting from October 2024.
- Master’s Program = October, 2024 – September, 2026 (2years)
- Doctoral Program = October, 2024 – September, 2027 (3years)
Eligibility Requirement for the Japanese Government Masters Scholarship
International students with outstanding academic records
- Who wish to enter Japan in September, 2023 as a new student
- To study in the Master’s or Doctoral Program at the Graduate School of Science.
- Applicants who have already graduated from their latest degree program should have a final grade point of 2.30 or higher, while current students should have a grade point of 2.30 or higher for their current courses, and both should be expected to maintain the same academic standards during the course of the scholarship program.
- Grade points shall be calculated according to a formula specified by MEXT.
- Furthermore, students must meet one of the criteria given under “(7) Language Proficiency” given below.
- Please refer to (11) Non-eligibility 5. to confirm your eligibility.
Letter of recommendation from “dean or above”
This letter must fulfill all of the following conditions:
- The name of the addressee stated in the letter must be “the President of the University of Tokyo”
- The letter must be printed on your university’s letterhead.
- The letter must be written by and signed by a dean or above. Digital signature is not acceptable.
- Applicants must submit the required documents for MEXT Scholarship after completing their admission application for entering the Master’s/Doctoral Program, following the “Instructions for International Students applying to the Graduate School of Science (Special Selection for International Applicants)”.
- These documents must be written in either Japanese or English. They must be created in A4 format using software such as MS Word and must be printed double-sided (duplex printing). A document written in any other language must be accompanied with a Japanese translation.
- Submitted documents will not be returned.
- An application passed the submission deadline is not acceptable.
- An application will not be considered unless all application forms and necessary documents are completed correctly and all accompanying documents are complete.
- In some countries, a graduation certificate and other documents are issued by a government administrative office. In this case, the University of Tokyo may need to confirm with a student’s previous university that the certificate issued contains no erroneous information.
Applicants must submit the required documents to apply for the MEXT Scholarship after applying for admission to the Graduate School of Science (Master’s/Doctoral Program). For an application to count, both MEXT scholarship application and the Graduate School of Science admission application must be completed before the application deadline through the respective online forms.
To submit the electronic application, applicants must upload all application documents through the designated application form, as instructed below, before the application deadline. Note that other forms of submission such as via email will not be accepted.
Visit the University of Tokyo Official Website for More Information