Mastercard Foundation Scholarship: Here is an exceptional opportunity to study in South Africa. This is an opportunity sponsored by the 2023 Mastercard Foundation Scholarship Program at the University of Cape Town (UTC).
Application is also open for admission to the undergraduate level at the University of Cape Town.
The Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at UCT offers full-tuition scholarships to young Africans who are first-time undergraduate or postgraduate (honors and master’s) degree candidates. The scholarships ensure a premium educational package that produces graduates with internationally recognized and locally applicable qualifications, as well as a transition into the workforce that is guided by values of engaged citizenship and social justice.
These scholarships cover the entire period of study and are renewable annually based on satisfactory performance and participation in the program’s activities and opportunities. Successful candidates must commit to returning to their home countries and investing their newly acquired skills and education in their country’s social and economic growth.
About the University of Cape Town
The University of Cape Town (UCT) is the oldest university in South Africa and one of Africa’s leading teaching and research institutions.
UCT began as the South African College, a boys’ high school, in 1829. The College had a small tertiary-education facility that grew significantly after 1880 when the discovery of gold and diamonds in the north – and the resulting demand for mining skills – provided it with the financial boost it needed to expand.
The Alfred Beit bequest, as well as additional significant gifts from mining magnates Julius Wernher and Otto Beit, helped to establish UCT as a university in 1918. The new university also received significant support from well-wishers in the Cape Town area, as well as a significant state grant for the first time.
Brief Scholarship Details
Sponsor(s): Mastercard Foundation
Academic Level: Postgraduate/Masters
Award Value: Fully Funded
Host Country: South Africa
Eligible Country: African Countries
Application Deadline: 25 September 2022
Full Benefits of Mastercard Foundation/University of Cape Town Scholarship Program
- Comprehensive financial assistance with visa applications, travel, tuition, living expenses, medical aid, and accommodation.
- A relevant and recognized education through academic curricula aimed at producing graduates whose qualifications are internationally recognized and locally applicable.
- Academic and peer mentor support – to ensure that each Scholar successfully progresses academically.
- An array of cultural and transition support and training aimed at academic and professional enrichment and assisting in the challenges facing university-going students.
- Career and internship opportunities in Africa, service learning, experiential learning – career guidance and support for transition to further study or the workforce.
- Leadership development and training.
- Alumni networks for further support.
Requirements for Mastercard Foundation/University of Cape Town Scholarship Program
- Academically talented – value learning and are driven to complete their education.
- Economically disadvantaged – facing significant financial barriers to completing their education.
- Committed to giving back – investing in their communities, using the skills and knowledge that they have acquired.
- Future leaders – are committed to embracing ethical leadership and making a positive change in their home communities.
How to Apply
Please kindly follow the instructions as provided here and in the application portal.
UCT opens its annual call for applications to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program between July and September.
Note that application to the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program is not the same as an academic application for UCT. Prospective scholars are advised to submit an academic application to UCT first, and then apply for the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program.
Visit Mastercard Official Website for More Information