EU-ECOWAS Scholarships Programme for West Africa
Masters Scholarship: The application is open for the 2022 EU-ECOWAS Scholarships Programme on Sustainable Energy for West Africans.
All interested and suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply. Kindly read the full instructions provided and apply via the Apply Button at the bottom.
Table of Content
The EU-Ecowas Scholarships Overview
The EU-ECOWAS Scholarship programme offers master’s degrees in the sustainable energy sector at specialized universities in West Africa (Cape Verde, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Nigeria, Senegal, and Togo) to eligible students from ECOWAS member countries involved in the energy sector.
The program aims to improve access to high-quality training in the sustainable energy sector in West Africa by enabling university graduates with a focus on young professionals (English, French, and Portuguese speakers) in ECOWAS member states to acquire the profile required to meet the region’s growing demand for specialists at the highest level in the field of sustainable energy, as well as to promote good governance of the sector.
Brief Scholarship Details
Study Country: Nigeria | Senegal | Cape Verde
Academic Programme: Masters
Type of Scholarship: Fully Funded
Eligible Countries: West African Countries
Application Deadline: 29 November 2022
Eligibility Requirement/Selection Criteria
The EU-ECOWAS Scholarship application form collects responses from applicants who wish to pursue a master’s degree in the energy sector at one of the shortlisted universities. The information gathered through the application form will be analyzed against the following criteria during the scholarship selection process:
- Be nationals of a member state of ECOWAS or Mauritania and being resident in ECOWAS’ region of Mauritania
- Have at least a bachelor’s degree with First Class or Second Class (Upper Division)
- Have undertaken studies with at least a bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, energy and environment (including renewable energy and energy efficiency), law, economics, finance, and planning as deemed by the entry requirements of the chosen university
- Work experience in the energy sector in West Africa will be an added advantage
- Hold (at least) provisional admission into an approved course of study at the time of scholarship approval
- The scholarship is open to working and non-working candidates. Working candidates are required to provide a letter of release from their employer to complete the course for the duration of the programme
- Commitment to publish at least 1 practice-oriented research before the end of the programme
- Commitment to start internships within the course of study.
NOTE: Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. If more candidates match the selection criteria than there are places available, they will be ranked according to the results of their last year of study and professional experience.
Participating Universities and Available Masters’ Courses
You can ONLY apply for relevant courses in Higher Education Institution(s) which have been opened to receive applications:
Host University: University of Ibadan
Below are courses for the Masters’ Scholarship at the University of Ibadan
- M.Sc. Energy Conversion Systems
- M.Phil. Energy Policy
- M.Sc. Electrical Power Systems
- M.Sc. Energy Economics
- M.Sc. Energy Finance
- M.Sc. Energy Technology and Management
- M.Sc. in Energy and Environment
- M.Sc. LL.M Energy Law
- M.Sc. Renewable Energy
Below are participating universities and courses in Senegal:
Ecole Polytechnique de Thiès
- M.Sc. Inter-Universities Master in Renewable Energies (Master interuniversitaire en énergies renouvelables)
Université Cheikh Anta Diop de Dakar
- M.Sc. 2 Photovoltaic Systems and Materials (Master 2 de physique et applications, spécialité énergie solaire, matériaux et systèmes)
Below are the participating university and course available
Universidade de Cabo Verde
- International Interuniversity Master’s program in Energy Decarbonization
NOTE: You are to select the country and university with the course of study that suits your field.
The two types of scholarships available in the program are:
Scholars are selected to complete their master’s program in higher education institutions located outside their country of residence. The scholarship will provide tuition, subsistence, travel, research grant, insurance, and visa funding.
Scholars are selected to complete their master’s program in higher education institutions located in their country of residence. The scholarship will take care of scholars’ tuition and research grant. A small stipend to contribute towards travel and subsistence will also be provided.
Scholarships will be awarded to a limited number of best qualifying people, to meet budget restrictions. Applicants are encouraged to consider factors such as language, proximity, family, and opportunities for internship in their decision-making when selecting their most preferred scholarship category.
Successful applicants will be required to provide the following documents for validation:
- Identification cards such as an international passport or a national identity card
- Proof of residency in an ECOWAS country or Mauritania
- A copy of the provisional admission letter from a shortlisted university
- Academic transcripts or certificate obtained, and
- Any other documents to validate information provided in the application form.
For more information, please contact [email protected]
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should complete the application form after reading through the scholarship and application information via the Apply Button below.
Visit the British Council Official Website for More Details