DAAD Germany Scholarship for International Students
DAAD Scholarship: The Application is open for the 2023 DAAD Helmut-Schmidt-Programme Scholarship for International Students to study in Germany. The programme, which is funded by the German Federal Foreign Office, offers the chance to acquire a Master’s degree in Master programmes of particular relevance for the social, political, and economic development in the students’ countries of origin.
- offers future leaders master’s courses in disciplines that are of special relevance for the social, political, and economic development
- prepares them in a practice-oriented course for responsible positions in or for their home regions and contributes to establishing economic and social institutions that are democratically oriented and designed to overcome social inequalities
Brief Scholarship Details
Host Country: Germany
Type of Programme: Masters | Postgraduate
Award Value: Fully Funded | Health Insurance | Travel Allowance
Eligible Countries: All Countries
Application Deadline: 31 July 2023
Full Benefits and Duration
The DAAD Germany Scholarship beneficiaries will receive:
- scholarships (currently € 934 per month) for master’s courses at German higher education institutions
- health insurance coverage in Germany
- appropriate travel allowances for travel between Germany and the respective developing and emerging countries
- a study and research grant
- rent subsidies and family supplements, as applicable
- preceding German language course in Germany, lasting up to 6 months; participation is mandatory.
The following deviation regarding funding benefits applies for the “Social Protection” master’s course, due to its blended learning concept: A sur-place rate of € 500 per month is paid in the 4th semester (mandatory online semester in the student’s country of origin or another developing/emerging country)
Graduates from developing and emerging countries (bachelor or equivalent)
- with a well-qualified first university degree and above-average grades (upper third) in Social and Political Sciences, Law, Economics, Public Policy, and Administration
- willing to actively contribute to the social, political, and economic development of their home countries/regions
- who have already gained practical experience relevant to the program (professional experience, internships, political/social commitment)
The required application documents are:
- a ticked off checklist and list of criteria, signed by hand (do not insert a scanned signature), indicating the place and date of issue
- the DAAD application form “Application for a research/study scholarship” (please type your answers or make sure they are clearly legible)
- a single letter of motivation (even when applying for two master’s courses) including a precise account of your academic, professional, and personal reasons for wishing to participate in the HelmutSchmidt-Programme, as well as a detailed explanation of your choice of master’s course(s), indicating why your first choice of master’s course is your first choice, why your second choice is your second choice and how they will advance you academically and professionally, max. two pages long. You must provide the same letter of motivation for both courses you are applying for.
- a curriculum vitae in reverse chronological order without any unexplained gaps (format: Europass) with exact information about your studies and practical experience, including the date of issue
- copies of your higher education degree certificates. Please provide a certified translation if the original is not in German or English and ensure these are legible.
- a copy of your full set of transcript of records including an explanation of the grading system. Please provide a certified translation if the original is not in German or English and ensure these are legible.
- confirmation of relevant professional experience or internships and/or proof of relevant political activities or service to your community, such as volunteering or work for charities or NGOs, on headed paper, including an original (not scanned) or code-certified digital signature, the date of issue and a stamp. If necessary, please provide a certified translation.
- proof of English language skills
- a currently written reference
How to Apply for the DAADScholarship
All applications must be submitted in English or German.
Please indicate clearly that you are applying for the DAAD Helmut-Schmidt Program (Master’s scholarship in Public Policy and Good Governance).
Click the Apply Button below this content to apply.
You may apply for up to two master’s courses listed below.
- Please read the DAAD selection criteria included in our checklist carefully. Please tick off the checklist and complete our list of criteria with your original signature (do not insert a scanned signature), indicating the place and date.
- Please complete the DAAD application form ‘Application for a research/study scholarship’ only once and indicate your selected master’s course or courses, in the latter case clearly indicating your first and second priority.
- If you are applying for two master’s courses: Please rank the courses in order of preference in your motivation letter, i.e. why your first choice of master’s course is your first choice and why your second choice is your second choice. For each choice of course, please provide clear reasons why you think it will advance you academically and professionally. You must submit the same letter of motivation to both courses you are applying for.
- Please submit the application form to the master’s course(s) of your choice (max. two), along with the required documents.